Sunday, June 10, 2012

Mother's Day




  Because I'm so busy lately and never blog, I've decided to start re-posting my blogs I have to write on my work website (http://ecm-japan.jugem.jp/?month=201205) every week, unless they're super boring and school related.  Please note they are G rated :( This one is from about a month ago and has been slightly altered...

This past Sunday in Japan, as well as many other countries around the world, was Mother's Day.  When I've been asking students what they will do to thank their mother for all her hard work, some have said they will give her flowers (specifically carnations), some have said cook dinner for her (most often meal when asked what is curry rice), or give other types of presents, and some have said they will do nothing.

In Canada, there is no 'traditional' gift for Mother's Day.  Most people in Canada are originally from another country and usually follow in the traditions of their heritage.  As children, we often do some sort of craft in school to give as a gift.  As we get older, we give cards, chocolate, or flowers, or do something such as cook dinner, clean the house, or give a back massage.  The list goes on and on. 

Now that I'm older, I can truly appreciate all my mother did for me.  She was a teacher and vice-principal for over 30 years and was up early everyday and often didn't go to bed till late at night.  She always had a spotless house, healthy homecooked food on the table (we virtually never ate at a restaurant), a huge garden and beautiful yard (no easy feat on a big farm).  Besides being a dedicated teacher, she was also the best mother I could hope for.  She helped with my homework, taught me responsibility, the value of hard work and being unselfish, how to make strudel and sauerkraut, was a shoulder to cry on, and a stern hand when I needed it.  As I got older, she helped me learn my own limits by allowing me to go out on the weekend with my friends, but I still got no special treatment the next day and had to be up early the next morning to do my part on the farm.  My mother was more than a mother; she was a role model, a mentor, a confidant, my best friend, and encouraged me to be all I can be.  I miss her everyday since she passed away nearly five years ago and wish I had the chance to tell her how much she really meant to me.  I can only hope she's proud of me and the choices I've made without her to guide me in the right direction.  Being a teacher, even if it's not something I do my entire life, is special to me because it's how my mother chose to spend her life.  It makes me feel closer to her in a way, even if it's sometimes hard when I want to call her to ask her advice on what to do about something.

I can't wait to have you tell me all about your mothers, why they're special to you, and what you did for them.  And if you didn't do anything special on Sunday, don't worry, it's not too late!  You can thank your mother every day of the year, not just on one designated day, I know she'll appreciate it.  Mother's Day is not just for your mothers, but for anyone who has nurtured and supported you in some way along your path, whether it be a grandmother, babysitter, friend's mother, aunt, boss, etc. Have a good week and remember to give your mum a hug the next time you see her!  I would give up anything to spend just one more minute with her; you don't know what you've got till it's gone!

Ziggy 

No comments:

Post a Comment